Monday, April 4, 2011

Recovery.

Symptoms that I was under the impression that I would have for the first couple of weeks post op:
  • Numbness and tingling feeling around lips, hands, and feet
  • Crawly feeling in skin
  • Muscle cramps and spasms
  • Bad headaches
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Difficulty projecting voice
  • Hoarse voice
  • Voice fatigue
  • Decreased vocal range
I am a week post op, and so far, the only symptom that I have had is a hoarse voice, which lasted about three days. I haven't had any of the other symptoms that they warned me about.

After surgery you are considered to have a 'hypothyroid' - an under active thyroid. 
I went from hyperthyroid to hypothyroid before my surgery and was prescribed 25mg of Synthroid, which I had been on for two months prior to surgery. I was told that being on the medicine prior to surgery would not help stable my TSH (thyroid hormone) levels any faster or slower. 

Hypothyroidism Symptoms:
  • Fatigue
  • Feeling run down and sluggish
  • Depression
  • Difficulty concentrating, brain fog
  • Unexplained or excessive weight gain
  • Dry itchy skin
  • Thinning hair
  • Constipation
  • Feeling cold
  • Muscle cramps
  • Increased menstrual flows, and more frequent periods
  • Infertility/miscarriage


Before my surgery I had the following symptoms:
  • Fatigue
  • Feeling run down and sluggish
  • Difficulty concentrating, brain fog
  • Dry itchy skin
  • Thinning hair
  • Constipation
The worst symptom for me was just the sluggish feeling, where I couldn't find any energy to do anything. Walking up the stairs was even a task for me at times. I didn't gain any weight prior to surgery, in fact, I was at a low of 99 lbs for a few weeks. 

So far, the only symptom that I have experienced post op is feeling fatigued, sluggish. I do feel better with the other symptoms since I had my thyroid removed, and I have not gained any weight. I have lost 2 lbs since my surgery, probably in part to not eating the best, but, being hypo, I was expected to gain at least 5 lbs in the first two weeks.

The doctor's really gave me an unrealistic view of what was going to happen. Ask questions, my doctor's basically just told me that it was for the best, and I'd feel better afterward. I didn't get the information I needed, and wasn't smart enough to stay and ask more questions. I felt rushed most of the time. 

The hardest part for me right now is taking care of my daughter. She is a ball on energy, so it really takes everything I have. I really have to push myself to get up and play with her, change her diaper, feed her, etc. 

I also can say I feel a bit disconnected from everything. I will probably have to blame that on being so tired. It isn't really a 'depression', or 'anxiety' feeling. I just feel numb. I'm having a hard time bonding with friends, family, my pets...etc. It's a really hard feeling to explain. Almost an out of body experience, where I feel like I am floating over everyone and watching, but I'm not really there. 

I also have a bit of a hard time with my scar. I know it is just a battle wound, but I've had people comment on it already, and it just makes me feel like Frankenstein. I'm sure some people out there can relate to me on that one. There are a lot of treatments for scars, so I'm sure it will fade in time. I work with customers all day so it is just embarrassing. 

For now, I'm doing ok. I'm just really tired for the most part. I have had a weakened appetite, but I think again, just because I'm so tired. I'll keep updating my blog as the weeks go by. 


Picture shown is scar one week post op. *Keep in mind I had a total thyroidectomy, some people only have half, which would be a much smaller scar*

No comments:

Post a Comment